In this blog post I will share top 5 takeaways from my Marketing and Research class. I believe I acquired knowledge in this class that will help me in the long run in my business career.
- Available database sources – as a class we had a session with a librarian where we learned about all database sources available on the Annie Merner Pfeiffer Library website. Throughout the semester I used many databases sources. It was impressive to learn how much useful information can be found in databases sources regarding business world and how helpful it could be in marketing research purposes. My favorite database source is Statista because it gives us quantitative data from the market on pretty much any topic you can think of.
- I learned how to moderate focus group – in class we watched very useful video on how to moderate focus group and then we had class lecture on it. We took one class period and performed a focus group on our own in order to gather information for our final project regarding what students find the most attractive about Wesleyan. We used this information as a guide to create our survey. Performing a focus group in class helped me better understand better how it functions in real life and I enjoyed being part of it.
- I learned how to build a survey – as a part of our final project we needed to create survey in order to find out from Wesleyan students what changes they think need to be made on WVWC pamphlet. Learning how to build a strong survey questions which gave us useful results from our target audience was a challenge. From class lecture I learned how questions in the survey need to be divided in different sections and it is crucial step in order to make them to the point, but still interesting for the target audience. Also, as a group we realized what it takes to get people motivated to take time out of their to compete the survey.
- Big Data – in class we watched PBS documentary on Big Data and I was really surprised to find out how powerful it is and how much it has influence the world in the past couple of decades. It helps in experimental purposes, but also it could save lives. I didn’t realize how much as a student I depend on big data in my everyday life till we learned more about it in class.
- Ethics of Research – learning about difference between ethical and unethical researches was very interesting. It was eye opening in many ways. We all expect that research is supposed to benefit human society, but I realized that before engaging in a certain research we need to take a look at it from different angles before fully deciding be part of it because it could possibly be harmful to the environment, animals or human beings.
This class helped me grow in many ways and I gained knowledge in different areas of marketing research. Case studies taught me what kind of problems I will be facing when I graduate and enter the real business world. It helped me realize how competitive and big business world is today and how important it is for companies to keep up with the trends. Lastly, I realized how important it is for a company to have strong business employee in order to survive in a competitive business world nowadays, which makes me excited to enter the world of business soon and make a change!